Certificate in Health and Wellness Coaching
Most individuals know what they should be doing to ensure they are in the best of health, have been told what to do by numerous healthcare professionals but still can't change their habits. Enter the health coach! Health coaching utilises the latest evidenced based behaviour change strategies to help guide and empower individuals towards taking responsibility for their own health and adopting long term and effective health promoting lifestyle choices. A more detailed explanation of health & wellness coaching can be found here. This coaching can dramatically improve patient compliance and practitioner success rates, you can see the evidence here.
This comprehensive 4 day intensive practitioner training certificate with home study is designed to offer healthcare professional the skills to help patients make lasting lifestyle change in a way they have never been able to manage before.
The Institute of Health Sciences is introducing this course to Ireland in association with The Wellness Coach Training Institute, based in Colorado, USA. Michael Arloski PhD, Dean of the Institute and founder of Real Balance Global Wellness Services (www.realbalance.com) is a founding father of wellness coaching, licensed psychologist and professional certified coach with over thirty years of professional contribution to the field of wellness. He has recently been elected onto the National Wellness Board of Directors in the USA. The Wellness Coach Training Institute has trained thousands of wellness and health coaches and it’s training is recognised and approved by the American College of Sports Medicine, The American Holistic Nurses Association and The National Commission for Health Education Credentialing. Michael is the author of Wellness Coaching For Lasting Lifestyle Change - the seminal book of the wellness coaching field, used by many universities and coach training schools. He keynotes, consults and trains on lifestyle improvement and wellness coaching, taking his message of wellness to four continents. Michael is also an Adjunct Professor in the Integrative Health Studies Program at The California Institute for Integral Studies where he teaches wellness coaching in this acclaimed graduate program. You can read an interview with Michael, in 2 parts, here and here.
- Become one of Ireland’s first health and wellness coaches
- Join a new generation of healthcare professionals
- Recognised for 37 Approved Coach Specific Training Hours (ACSTH) with the International Coach Federation (ICF)
- Recognised for CPD points with the Irish College of General Practitioners and An Bord Altranais, the Irish Nursing Board and NTOI, amongst others
- Open yourself up to limitless opportunities in the healthcare arena
- Suitable for current healthcare professionals or those looking for an exciting career in this area
- Get listed on the IHS website as a Health and Wellness Coach
- Continue on with your studies – top up to an Advanced Certificate in Health and Wellness Coaching by completing 3 further modules on NLP, stress management and entrepreneurship and then a Diploma in Diet, Health and Wellness Coaching by completing the IHS Certificate in Dietary Counselling
About the Course
It is important to note that health coaching is not, however, just about building a rapport with clients and communicating effectively with them. Whilst these skills are hugely important, true health coaching requires the practitioner to step back from their usual role as educator and instead focus on becoming an ally to clients. This course will teach students how to do this effectively and to encourage individuals to take responsibility for their own health and develop personal strategies to change that work for them. This is a step-by-step process and may involve regular and numerous face to face, telephone and email consultations.
- Course manuals (provided beforehand on CD)
- Digital toolkit (CD of all Wellness Mapping 360 paperwork). Wellness Mapping 360 is a health and wellness coaching model that gives graduates a framework that provides a systematic way to work with individuals over a number of coaching sessions.
- Michael Arloski's 2 ground breaking books 'Wellness Coaching for Lasting Lifestyle Change' and 'Your Journey to a Healthier Life'
The Certificate in Health and Wellness Coaching is recognised for 37 Approved Coach Specific Training Hours (ACSTH) and can be used towards your Associate Certified Coach (ACC) accreditation with the International Coaching Federation (ICF) or as Continuing Coach Education Hours.
This qualification can be combined with 3 further modules on NLP, Stress Management and Entrepreneurship and the IHS Certificate in Dietary Counselling to offer graduates a Diploma in Diet, Health and Wellness Coaching. Individual modules may also be completed to gain shorter practitioner and CPD qualifications.
The course covers an array of vital coaching skills including: motivational interviewing, building an alliance with clients, understanding ‘readiness to change’, goal setting and planning, coaching in different healthcare settings and clinical practice.
IHS has developed a number of options for those wishing to complete our health coaching training depending on their training needs.
(i) Normal minimum entry requirements
The minimum academic entry requirement for this course is a grade C at Junior Certificate or 4 GCSEs grades A to C. Equivalent international qualifications will also be accepted. A background in healthcare is essential.
(ii) Prior Learning and Prior Experiential Learning
Applicants with Prior Learning and Experiential Prior Learning will also be considered. All knowledge, skills and competencies accumulated through life and work experience will be considered.
All applicants will be interviewed to determine their suitability for the course.
How to Apply
To enrol you will need to complete the application form, save it and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like IHS to contact you please fill out our online contact form and a staff member will get in touch with you shortly.